Citizenships & Sponsorships

Citizenships & Sponsorships

Family Class Sponsorships

Citizens and permanent residents of Canada who are at least 18 years old may be able to sponsor certain relatives to immigrate under the Family Class, however, financial support to those being sponsored is required

A Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident can sponsor Spouses, Children, Parents and Grandparents to become permanent residents in Canada.

Caregiver Program

There are now three different ways to apply for permanent residence through the Caregiver Program:

  • Caring for Children Pathway
  • Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pathway, and
  • Live-in Caregiver Program.


To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, there are a list of conditions and requirements that must be met.

  • Must be at least 18 years to apply
  • Must have permanent resident status
  • Must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application
  • Must have fulfilled your personal income tax filing obligations for four taxation years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date you apply
  • Must declare your intent to reside during the citizenship application process.
  • Adequate knowledge of either English or French
  • Must understand the rights, responsibilities and privileges of citizenship such as voting in elections and obeying the law
  • Will not be eligible to become a citizen for a period of time if you have committed a crime in or outside Canada

Dual Citizenship

Every Country decides whom it considers to be a citizen. If more than one country recognizes you as a citizen, you have dual citizenship.

You do not apply for dual citizenship and there is no related certificate. Canadians are allowed to take foreign citizenship while keeping their Canadian citizenship.

If you are a permanent resident but not a Canadian citizen, ask the embassy of your country of citizenship about its rules before applying for Canadian citizenship.

Temporary residence:

There are 4 basic types of temporary resident visas:

Visitor’s Visa

For foreign nationals, most types of employment within Canada require a work permit. In order to obtain a work permit, a job offer from a qualifying Canadian business is necessary. The foreign nationals prospective employer will need to apply to HRSDC for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to specify the need for this type of employment in Canada. The work permit is only valid for a certain period of time, usually one year, after which it can be renewed. An application for permanent residence can be made, or the foreign nationals will be required to return to return to their country of nationality. It important to note that there are certain professionals who are exempt from this process such as religious workers.

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or tansit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian Visa. Canadian citizen including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Work permit

A work permit is not a visa. It does not give you the right to board your flight to Canada. Along with your permit, you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada.

If you are from a visa-exempt country and received your work permit before August 1,2015, you will need to apply for eTA if you leave Canada and return by air. 

If you received your initial permit on or after August 1, 2015 you were automatically issued an eTA along with you permit.

 If you renew a work permit, an eTA is not automatically renewed or issued to you. You need to apply for one separately.

Student Permit

Foreign national students who have applied to and been accepted by an educational institution in Canada require a student visa in order to enter Canada and begin their studies. The acceptance letter is required in order to apply for a study permit. Proof of payment of tuition fees and sufficient financial resources are often required as well to obtain this visa. Applicants must also satisfy an officer that they will return to their country of nationality upon completion of the study period before being granted a student visa.

Most foreign students are required to obtain study permits before they can engage in a course of study in Canada.

In addition to presenting an acceptance letter from the educational institution they wish to attend, foreign students must be able to demonstrate that they have sufficient financial resources to cover tuition and living expenses without the need to seek employment.

A medical examination may be required before a study permit can be issued. The applicant must satisfy a visa officer that they will return home at the end of their studies as well as meet other requirements for visitors, including obtaining a visa, if necessary.

Certain types of study are exempted from the requirement of obtaining a study permit. For example, if the duration of the course or program of studies is six months or less and will be completed within the period for the stay authorized upon entry into Canada, a study permit is not required.

Furthermore, every minor child in Canada who is a dependant of a foreign national authorized to work or study in Canada may attend pre-school, primary or secondary school without the need for a study permit. This is an allowance made by Section 30(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

To apply for a post-graduate work permit (includes part time and self-employment), one must have been engaged in full-time studies at a university, community college, publicly funded trade/technical school or at a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.

In order to study in Canada, you will need to obtain a Canadian study permit called a Canadian student visa for the duration of your stay. A Canadian study permit is not necessary if your program lasts six months or less.  Once you have a Canadian study permit, you can apply to renew it from within Canada if you decide to stay in Canada and continue your studies.

Temporary Resident Permits

If an individual is inadmissible to Canada on medical or criminal grounds or does not otherwise comply with the Act or Regulations, they may apply for a Temporary Resident’s Permit (formerly known as a “Minister’s Permit”). The Minister only grants these in deserving cases. Please contact our firm directly for assistance.


Start-up Visas for Entrepreneurs

This program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build innovative businesses in Canada that can create jobs for Canadians and compete on a global scale.

To be eligible you must

  • Prove your business is supported by a designated organization
  • Show that your business meets the ownership requirements
  • Meet the language requirements and
  • Bring sufficient settlement funds

No Sidebar

This template supports the unlimited sidebar's widgets.
For adding widgets to Footer sidebar Click Here